East Coast Adventure, Part III

Mt. Osceola Viewed from the Kancamagus Hwy.
Mt. Osceola Viewed from the Kancamagus Hwy.

After Matt and I left Long Island, we headed to New Hampshire to go rock climbing in Rumney. First, we stopped to see my cousin Kt and her newborn baby. It was a quick visit but really nice getting to catch up with her and her boyfriend Jon. I am hoping they will get out here to Colorado soon once the baby is a little older.

We drove on my favorite road in the northeast which is route 302 through Maine and into New Hampshire. It passes by Sebago Lake and Shawnee Peak and always reminds of how much I love and miss Maine. When we arrived into Conway, New Hampshire, I decided that we should take the Kancamagus Highway so we could go swimming at Lower Falls, and I could show Matt a great piece of New Hampshire. Well, unfortunately Lower Falls was closed for construction of the parking lot, but we stopped and hung out by the river anyways.

Taking Photos at the Pull Off of the Kancamagus Highway

We arrived in Rumney later in the afternoon and I had reserved a campsite at Mountain Pines Campground right on the river across from the crag. We set up camp got some Subway for dinner and went to bed pretty early, so we could get up early and get to the parking lot for climbing.

Unfortunately I didn’t take many photos rock climbing because we were having a good time climbing and not worrying about photos, but Rumney was such a cool crag! There were so many different walls with varying degrees of difficulty. We started at Jimmy Cliff which was a long hike up, but we wanted to climb the classic route Junco. And I’m so glad we did, it was a great warm up lead and a lot of fun.

Shea Hanging out Below Yoda.

After Junco we headed back down and ended up stopping at the Darth Vader wall and I weakly attempted a 5.9 called Yoda before giving up because the start was an overhang. Matt jumped on it and lead it to the top but said it was one of the toughest routes he had climbed in awhile. It was an overhang start to a finger crack headwall. Luckily he had been practicing crack climbing this winter and was able to jam his fingers in to make moves.

Quinn/Callahan (5.9-). Our Last Route of the Day.

We climbed a couple more routes closer to the parking lot and then decided to go back to camp and make some dinner. We used our brand new camp stove that Matt’s parents bought us, it was awesome and we made a big pot of spaghetti and talked about what we were going to do the next day. We decided on hiking Mt. Jefferson, in the White Mountains.

Cooking Spaghetti on our New Stove.

We got up early the next day, packed up, and took off for the trailhead. We drove by Mt. Washington, which I was so excited to show Matt, and then turned onto a long dirt road that lead to the trailhead for Jefferson Mountain which is one mountain north of Washington in the Presidential Range. Its a fun hike with some amazing views and a lot of scrambling. Shea did awesome! And it was very nice to be hiking at a lower altitude.

Shea and Matt at the First Lookout on the Caps Ridge Trail to Jefferson.
Trail Junction, False Summit Ahead.

We had a beautiful day for hiking, and I was excited to show Matt that the mountains in New Hampshire are big and beautiful too. The hike up is short and sweet at only 2.5 miles and a starting elevation of 3,008′. The summit of Jefferson is at 5,715′, which for the east coast is up there! The summit has gorgeous views of Washington and the surrounding Whites. The top is mostly scree and large boulders, so hiking down was a little painful on the knees. But it was quick and totally worth it.

Getting Closer to the Summit.
Checking Out My Map to Try and Name the Peaks. Washington in the Background.
Great View of Mt. Washington from the Summit.

We had a great day and felt very accomplished when we got back to the car. We drove back through North Conway (my favorite town) and ate at Horsefeathers. We briefly shopped at Zeb’s General Store and at Eastern Mountain Sports. I bought an awesome climbing helmet and then we headed for Matt’s aunt and uncles house to sleep before heading back to New York for a few hours and then the long drive back to Colorado.

The trip was such a great vacation and even though we might have beat up my car a bit, it was totally worth it. I’m so glad I got to meet Matt’s family and hang out with mine. And we got a great dose of one of my favorite states (New Hampshire). And the best part? Driving in our driveway in Dillon at 3am, so happy to be home.

Part 1

Part 2